lalita larking

An obsession with cryptic crosswords. Everything else falls in place.

Name:
Location: Kolkata, India

Sunday, April 06, 2008

A harmony saga

What price Ogden Nash? Indeed, so let's have a bash
At being playful and jaunty and deal in sundry mish-mash.
Or rather, in merry and amusing anagrams
Which are easier than essays, rants or diagrams.
Well, I am incapable of Nashian infinite expansion
While winking at the old-fashioned idea of scansion;
Much as I'd love to take more of your time,
I seem to have run out of couplets that rhyme.

So here goes: 'A harmony saga', also known as 'anagrams ahoy!'

I called them 'semi-fascist tyrants' while they were here, but now that all three of 'my fantastic sisters' have left, I miss them very much. So I consoled myself with my favourite occupation. No, it is not correcting other people's grammar or raving at idiots. That would leave me with little time to do anything else, and also I learnt to grin and bear it to save wear and tear on my teeth.

Though it is 'a stagnating romp', I indulged in some 'anagram spotting', and very rewarding it was too.

Did you know that eroticism is an anagram of isometric? That violated can be rearranged to read dovetail? It makes you stop and think, I tell you.

Have you ever seen that 'continued' and 'unnoticed' contain the same letters? Or that new 'directions' need 'discretion'? That 'malediction' is 'a mild notice'? 'Imprecation' 'metric piano'? 'Magic trap' can be 'pragmatic'. When 'le mot juste' is 'mute jostle', what can we expect?

Rearranging the letters of 'petulance' gives 'lucent ape'; and 'fantastic' can be rearranged to read 'isn't a fact'. My pet peeve these days, 'socialite feminists', I discovered can be 'Felicitation Misses'.

When I see the huge number of comments other bloggers get and feel envious, I remind myself that the phrase 'sour grapes' is also 'sugar poser' and while it might form part of my 'par grouses', I ought not to grumble too much about it. So even if it can read 'cite liars' I tend to be 'realistic' and wish them well. I can't write about the things they do, anyhow.

I discover instead that- 'Oh doubt a man? Touching!' is an anagram of 'Much Ado About Nothing', and smile. (You thought I wasn't going to bring the Bard into this, did you? 'Wherefore art thou Romeo' is an anagram of 'raw theorem of outré hero'; so there.)

'Save the turtles' is an anagram of 'leave truths set' and that ought to tell something to people who mail me about their well being (the turtles' I mean). Species are supposed to go extinct, and the sooner we do, the better for planet Earth. 'Stave the result', and stop asking me for help to 'save the turtles'.

In other news, I am living in 'interesting times' which is an anagram of 'grim entities sent', by the way. And if I had to wish for things, I would dearly like those regulars my site tracker says I have as visitors to take time and 'post a comment', as it is the 'commonest pat'. But Frank Herbert did say, if wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets. I wonder if he considered 'vegetarians', an anagram of 'envisage rat', when he said that. But that is beside the point.

Cheers!

20 Comments:

Blogger Apoplexy said...

If there aint a website that spits these things out,then one pranam.If there is none, and you made these, then shata-koti pranams.

12:25 am  
Blogger Alien said...

like always .. superb. and hope you stay well..

regards

12:51 am  
Blogger Lalita said...

Apoplexy- There are sites devoted to anagrams, yes, and anagram generating software is available too. But it still takes a human brain to find the funny ones, or change word order, or even rearrange again. I mostly rely on paper, pencil and eraser, along with some free time to find anagrams I like. So no pranams I guess.

Alien- Thank you.

5:12 am  
Blogger nimbu said...

Wow, nice collection of anagrams! Meanwhile, hope you become restored to the pink of health (as we Indians say) ASAP!

6:15 am  
Blogger Sivaram Pothukuchi said...

Atta Girl ! Way to Go !!
May your tribe increase !!!
And many similar such comments, which this margin is too narrow to hold ....

6:16 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Lali how do you do it

6:38 pm  
Blogger Rimi said...

'Stave the results' and 'Felicitation Misses'. Lali, I do love you!

7:03 pm  
Blogger Apoplexy said...

Lalita: Actually it is exactly what you do with the paper and pencil that evokes a shata koti pranam in me.So, yes, the bow stays.

7:07 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh well, we prefer buns, only.

What can you expect from La Litter than Muck Hairjis ?

(OK, forced, but we're travelling.
And as we read somewhere :
The man who laughs == He's glum, won't ha-ha )

7:30 pm  
Blogger Nilu said...

Lali, I want this Rimi person's phone number. She seems hot type.

9:01 am  
Blogger dipali said...

Classic Lali! Wonderful to read:)

9:33 am  
Blogger Shyam Hari said...

Lovely post, Lali. Have been a long-time reader and admirer.Keep posting.

Shyam

4:32 pm  
Blogger Lalita said...

Nimbupani- Thank you. Will try to oblige ASAP. :-)

Sivaram- May my tribe increase? Here I was, thinking I was one of a kind. Sigh.

WA- Easy. Jobless brain, lots of idle time, heh.

Rimi- Thank you, angel.

Apoplexy- Even if I took an irrational looking set of words generated by the software and worked on them? Thank you then.

Hehhhh- Anagrams and puns are like apples and oranges, you know?

Nilu- I am heartbroken. But I will ask her, anything for you, only.

Dipali- Thanks lady. :-) Harks back to last year, doesn't it?

Shyam- Thank you for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it.

9:13 pm  
Blogger Chenthil said...

"Elate Jam Liker, Uh!"

9:42 pm  
Blogger anantha said...

Oh... I don't have the brains to think of anagrams. I'd use google, if I had to.

So, in essence, you totally rock, Lali!

10:05 pm  
Blogger Lalita said...

Chenthil- Lethal mujik area.

Anantha- You can't Google for anagrams. Ars Magna and Anagram Genius are both good generators, and there are some sites that let you find anagrams, Chenthil tells me.

Rock as in "Rockabye baby on the treetop", eh? :-)

3:54 am  
Blogger Sivaram Pothukuchi said...

tribe - n.

A group of people sharing an occupation, interest, or habit: a tribe of graduate students.

NOT a lot of people identical to each other ! Not even a group of people having a common capability, so please note !!

You doomed to remain unique.

12:39 pm  
Blogger Lalita said...

Sivaram- Ouch. I walked into that. :-)

5:17 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice blog..
Click Here

1:46 am  
Blogger Ramnarayan said...

She was brilliant, wasn't she?

10:28 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License. /body>