lalita larking

An obsession with cryptic crosswords. Everything else falls in place.

Name:
Location: Kolkata, India

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Future tense

When expectations are that Missus Em will do an anagram revel, and I am working on it off and on, I promise you, I am tempted to write about something else. More so, because this is a project I am hoping to complete soon. Yeah, well, before I die. But since the doctors won’t commit themselves about how long I have, it gets interesting. What if I am still blogging after one year?

What future holds is obscure anyway, so I refuse to consider it more than necessary. Here is a translation of a poem, For Memories, that I wrote in the nineties. The original is below, too bad if you want transliteration.

Future Tense

The golden orb of sun has sunk in the west.
In this light of crackling campfire and
Unclear time,
What musk of urgent desire
Will accompany these memories and scent them?
Pearl-glistening moonlight
Night's live orchestra for us
What swooning satiety will fill your eyes?
How many jasmine night dreams
For us- plucking heartstrings?
How many jasmine night dreams
For us- desire overflowing cupped hands?


జ్ఞాపకాల కోసం

సూర్యుని స్వర్ణబింబం పశ్చిమాన వాలిపోయింది
ఈ కణకణలాడే చలిమంట వెలుగుల్లో
అస్పష్టంగా కనబడే కాలం
ఏ ఆతురత నిండిన ఆర్తి కస్తూరి
ఈ జ్ఞాపకాలకి తోడు పరిమళిస్తుందో
ముత్యాల మెరుపుల వెన్నెల
రాత్రి సజీవ సంగీతం మన కోసం
ఎంత నిర్వాణసమమైన సంతృప్తి
నీ కళ్ళలో నిలుస్తుందో
ఎన్ని మల్లెల రాత్రి కలలు
మన కోసం - గుండె తీగలు మీటి
ఎన్ని మల్లెల రాత్రి కలలు
మన కోసం - కోర్కె దోసిళ్ళు నిండి

Cheers!

16 Comments:

Blogger anantha said...

So, you know why I don't call you?
Go read your post again!

12:34 am  
Blogger Lalita said...

Anantha- Huh. Excuses, excuses!

8:04 am  
Blogger Vivek Kedia said...

I read it post more than thrice but still not able to understand anything !!

vivek

9:47 am  
Blogger Jeeves said...

"Night of moonlight dreams
Thy speaks of cupped hands
Can cupped hands hold
Overflowing love

Satiate can you
Night of jasmine and moonlight pearls"

As always, it was nice post. You exude so much positive thinking. Someone, somewhere is trying to emulate you and wriggle of the traces of negativity.

10:50 am  
Blogger Rimi said...

My dear Lali! You scandalise me. A well-bred lady must delicately pretend all knowledge of bodily functions in public... and here we are, discussing the D-word. A fine thing, this!

We will have Words, Mrs. Mukherjea. Make no mistake.

11:23 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice one! Hoping to see more poems in your blog!

1:38 pm  
Blogger Lalita said...

Vivek- Sigh. What can I say?

Jeeves- Thank you. It is not so much being positive as refusing to be negative. :-)

Rimi- Dear Rimi, I wish you would read back before hitting 'publish', you scnadalise me too. Tell me, is there a douche with the brand name 'Desire' or 'Dreams' out there somewhere? I am curious, as I used no other D words in the poem. ;-)

Nisha- Thank you. I will try to oblige.

4:41 pm  
Blogger Rimi said...

"Yeah, well, before I die."

That. Don't even think of getting away with it, Lali. I shall practice my sternness on you before I depart to employ it on unaware undergraduates.

6:05 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to have many more memories with Queen Nefertiti.

9:43 pm  
Blogger Lalita said...

Rimi- Rimikins, never equate being pragmatic with being negative or pessimistic. I am afraid your undergrads will snigger if you pratice being stern with me, darling. You will need to find more pliable victims for that. :-)

PTC- I am sure you will, Pharaoh Akhanaten. Like I said, future is obscure, hence always exciting.

4:56 am  
Blogger m said...

'What if I am still blogging after one year?'

That would be a boon for us lady and I pray that it happens, with all my heart!

9:03 pm  
Blogger Sivaram Pothukuchi said...

Heyy !
What price Ogden Nash ?
Don't be pragmatic, pessimistic or anyother. Be playful.
The world is too much with us, as it is !

12:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The last four lines were heart-clenching in the original, though my Telugu is nowhere near enough to completely appreciate it. I felt the translation, while being adequate, couldn't quite bring out the emotional content of those lines.

Re-read those lines several times today, and it struck a chord each time.

2:07 am  
Blogger Lalita said...

Ela- It'd be as much a boon to me, too, dear. Thank you.

Sivaram- Yes, sir. Yes, sir, three-bagsful sir. I am not in the mood for versification, it seems. It is an awful thing to admit to, but last week I was reading Nash for inspiration, and all it achieved was raised hackles at the scansion instead of smiles at the easy philosophy. Sigh.

Hehhhhhhhh- Decide on how many, will you? What to do, we are reduced from writing heart-clenching stuff to being merely adequate. Sad, no?

9:01 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehhhh has a point. Those last four lines in Telugu are poignant. The English version just doesn't have the same resonance. Try it once again, Lali? Please?

1:06 pm  
Blogger Lalita said...

Ash- Sigh. Reminds me of a Telugu proverb, AyanE unTE.

5:20 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License. /body>