lalita larking

An obsession with cryptic crosswords. Everything else falls in place.

Name:
Location: Kolkata, India

Sunday, February 25, 2007

To whom it may concern

O, gum hai kisi ke pyaar mein dil subaah shaam, I wrote. Fingers hovering over the keys, I hesitated, wondering what more to say. That said it all, didn't it?

Gmail went ding at me. It was you. Hey babe, what's up, you typed. I smiled like I always do, at that address. It's fun to talk to you.

I said I was writing a letter. To an absent toy boy, I added, with mischief. I want letter, you demanded. I smiled again, at that imperative sentence, at your terse phrasing and the conviction, that certainty that you will get what you ask.

I don't care if you wrote it for someone else; I want letter, you said. It made me think of toddlers and tantrums. I abandoned the letter; it wasn't getting anywhere anyhow, and wrote to you.

Hey babe, what's up, you typed. I said I was working on a post. Do a post on me, you demanded. But what will I say, I hedged. Say I am nice, you said. You are nice, I typed, smiling.

I wasn't too sure about it before we met, but now I know you smile as you make those statements and declarations. You are nice. You make outrageous remarks, extravagant statements and imperious demands. You are nice. You make me smile, and sometimes laugh out loud. You are nice.

But, a post on you? What would I say, that you fascinated me, and intrigued me? That I found you pleasant company, easy to talk to? That you were, in fact, sweet?

I dithered. You went into spoilt brat mode, demanding a post. I want post, you said. I will come to Calcutta and stage a dharna in front of your house, you said. I smiled. I will thee kulichify, you said once, and I smiled then too.

So I abandoned the post I was working on and wrote about you. After a couple of paragraphs I realised that I didn't want to share you with others. Your demand is hereby declined, regretfully. You get no post.

Yours sincerely,

Postmistress

Cheers!

15 Comments:

Blogger Rimi said...

If that isn't playing Hitchcock, I don't know what is ;-)

Also, "You make outrageous remarks, extravagant statements and imperious demands". Hmm. Are you quite sure we -- this gentleman and I -- weren't separated at birth?

Much teehee, Lali.

7:36 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just how many toyboys do you have, Lali? I am curious.

8:10 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

La Belle Dame Sans Merci strikes again. Keats would have professed love, lady.

Sincerely,
Secret admirer

9:45 pm  
Blogger Anand said...

Oh boy! And to have to let him thee kulichify is nice, no?

10:20 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What on earth is the young brigade going on about, Lali? You write a post/non-post and make a semi-letter out of it, very sweet, but it is hardly a serious post, is it? Enough of larking, lady. Post something else. A poem, maybe?

10:41 pm  
Blogger Lalita said...

Rimi- Ahem. Perhaps you and the gentleman were born on the same day, same hour?

Rajesh-"Hrair," to quote Watership Down, so there.

Anon- Yeah, yeah. Get a name.

Anand-Yup, it is nice that he says such things.

Ash- Sigh. There is no pleasing some people.

11:09 pm  
Blogger wiseling said...

I like. That is all. :)

2:30 pm  
Blogger Nilu said...

Hi Babe,

Joy comes.

3:22 pm  
Blogger Lalita said...

Wiseling- Thank you. That is all. :)

Nilu- Who is Joy? Immense jealousy invades.

4:30 pm  
Blogger neha vish said...

Fabulously envious.

5:24 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see there is more to it. But can you see your way to writing about the Pancha kanya now, or something like that? Toy boys aren't fascinating to read about, however fascinating you may find them, Lali.

10:27 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol. The boy made me say three times today that he is nice, wonder if its a game he plays with us all. Such a sweet post lali and yup I think he is sweet too

3:50 am  
Blogger Lalita said...

Neha- Now I am confused. :-)

Ash- For the last time, no Pancha Kanyas, okay? Await more posts on toy boys. So there.

Anon- Perhaps he plays the same game with all of us, but it is fun playing along, no? And is your name Joy, by any chance?

12:49 pm  
Blogger Priya said...

I miss you, I miss being in blogsphere. But I choose to dwell in my loneliness. Babe, this was to tell you, I'm around. Only wish I was in Cal.

5:48 pm  
Blogger Lalita said...

Priya- She walks in beauty, go read that again. I wish you were here too, love; or I was there.

11:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License. /body>