lalita larking

An obsession with cryptic crosswords. Everything else falls in place.

Name:
Location: Kolkata, India

Sunday, February 04, 2007

Kiss the girl

You wanna kiss the girl
You've gotta kiss the girl
Go on and kiss the girl

Kiss the Girl, The Little Mermaid

Sometimes a second seems like forever.

As you bent your head, eyes locked on mine, giving me time to step back or turn my face slightly to offer my cheek…

I could step back.
I could avert my face.
I could smile and shake my head no.

I did none of the above. I waited. Big-eyed, you teased me later, apprehensive but determined.

I could have turned my face and your lips would have pecked a platonic kiss of affection and we'd have gone back to our bantering and fencing with words. Perhaps. That wasn't an option, not any longer, was it?

So I waited.

As your face came closer I saw more clearly, for the first time at such close quarters or in such detail, that gash in your left eyebrow, a small scar where no hair grew– a childhood accident perhaps. Was your mother beside herself with protective fear when it happened, I wondered, in a flash of sympathy with the past that had nothing to do with the intensity of the moment.

I noticed that your lips are full, well defined. I liked the way how your upper lip looked chiselled and the lower one fleshy and succulent. I wondered how our mouths would fit together, my own lower lip is full and the upper lip a slim cupid's bow(very Clara Bow, you said later).

So I waited.

In that moment that seemed to take forever, as your face came closer, so many thoughts skittered through my mind. Then your mouth descended on mine.

Bimba, bimbi, bimboshti, I muttered as I searched reference books for botanical names later, much later. You stretched luxuriously, laced your fingers behind your head and offered, bimbaadhari.

"Not a valid word, I tell you," I grumbled, " Dondapandu, forsooth." And you laughed.

Cheers!

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely. I wonder what post you might make of our meeting. So give me your number, Lali.

Sincerely,
Secret admirer.

11:13 pm  
Blogger Lalita said...

Anon- We met, he goggled, I yawned. Get a name.

9:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why isn't bimbaadhari a valid word? Rather the right adjective for the Jolies of the world too, I'd have thought.

10:05 am  
Blogger Lalita said...

Ash-It isn't valid if my dictionaries don't have it. And I don't like Jolie's mouth, either.

2:16 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the transition from the intensity of the first part to the comfortable intimacy of the second!
Talk about a defining moment.....

2:30 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Only Missus Em would make the girl reach out for a reference book post-coitally. Nice post Lali.

5:18 pm  
Blogger Lalita said...

Dipali- Thank you.

Rajesh- :-)

11:28 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I could have turned my face and your lips would have pecked a platonic kiss of affection and we'd have gone back to our bantering and fencing with words. Perhaps. That wasn't an option, not any longer, was it?"

11:50 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very beautiful .. i like that...

11:51 am  
Blogger Lalita said...

Ram- Thanks. And how about posting, you lazy young man?

1:54 pm  
Blogger Alien said...

Enlighten me @bimbaadhari and Dondapandu...

otherwise quite beautiful...

2:24 am  
Blogger Lalita said...

ET- Hi, welcome back. It used to be the convention to liken a woman's full lower lip to a ripe dondakaya-
tindora it is called in most parts of India, dondakaya or kovakkai in the South. The Sanskrit name is bimba, bimbi and bimbika. So she who has a lower lip like a ripe dondakaya would be bimbaadhari.

9:45 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License. /body>