lalita larking

An obsession with cryptic crosswords. Everything else falls in place.

Name:
Location: Kolkata, India

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Adrift and thinking

There are days when thoughts just skitter around, when it seems impossible to cogitate deeply; when the mind seems to run in many directions at once and makes no headway in any.

The mind is a monkey, a poet philosophised. If we were to stop and consider it, it rings true on many levels.

Conscious thought may be of higher order, but desires are subconscious and they drive us more than we realise. And at that level, our brain works on auto-pilot and decides things for us without our having to think about it.

I have had a bad day in office, folks. So I am fobbing you off with a poem instead of talking about amygdala and hindbrain or the primitive undercurrent that is present in all our so-called conscious actions.

I might do a post on haikus and how I contributed to dumbing down a generation of Telugu would-be poets by writing haikus and tankas in my mothertongue, but that is just a vague promise, not an actual threat, and certainly not today. :D

I solved a clue with a double definition that a couple of years ago: Having a meaning and having no purpose (6)

For my Tamil readers: think back to Ilayaraja and the oldies; Kaatril Endan Geetham, to get the tempo of the poem. (Yeah, plagiarism or inspiration, I wrote this while listening to that song. So sue me. :D)


Adrift
In the breezes

Adrift
Needing a star
To steer by

Flower-fragile ego
Glass-brittle self-esteem

Adrift
On a sea of emotions
Seeking safe harbor

False alarms
Remorse regrets aplenty

Heartache in the wake

Adrift
All alone

I don’t know who you are
I need you
You need me

Adrift
Don’t want to be lost anymore


Cheers!

8 Comments:

Blogger Priya said...

Must try out your therapy sometime. But what if everyday's a bad day? Nice poem. Adrift and all alone is a fantasy I nurture:P

10:39 am  
Blogger Lalita said...

Priya- Shipwrecked on an island with a library is my favourite fantasy. :D

3:30 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If your library books are all in Turkish or in Scandinavian, what then? : )

4:08 pm  
Blogger Lalita said...

Badari- What a spoilsport you are. It is my fantasy, so the books will be in languages I can read. So there!

5:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The mind is indeed a monkey. very profound statement, that.

I wish you did talk about hindbrain rather than offer a poem. Nice poem it was though. Very pared down and inviting, demanding free association. Good work, Lali.

10:38 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

was away for a week and find you posted a zillion times in between. ??? don't you take a break?

Nice poem,now let me read the rest.

10:57 pm  
Blogger Lalita said...

Ash- Thanks. But talking about hindbrain and instinct was exactly what I didn't want to do. :-)

Rajesh- :D No, I don't take breaks.

12:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice poem. do you do longer more descriptive poems? pared down as one of your readers says is all very well but longer poems would be nice too.

10:43 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License. /body>