lalita larking

An obsession with cryptic crosswords. Everything else falls in place.

Name:
Location: Kolkata, India

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Confused

The world seems to have gone mad.

Oh, yeah. Thank you so much, dear readers, for chipping in with recommendations. I think not. (Not you, Siva, you are a dear.)

Our idiot box is temperamental and shows colour under some intensely guarded private code. And my son is up in arms. Come on, mom, he says. Get this fixed, he says; supremely confident that mom can fix everything.

Why is he up in arms? Because he had to watch part of today's match in black and white, as our television set imposed its own censorship and ratings. And then the cable TV died.

Furious phone calls and frantic tuning into radio commentaries later, all is bliss. Husband: listening to cricket; son: watching football. Nirvana.

I pause in passing and remark that a goal seems to have been scored. "Nice, a goal." I say. My son looks pained. "Its an own goal, mom, " he says. "So? Isn't that the best kind, achieving one's goal? " I say.

Then I cringe at the glance of amused contempt my son spares me before turning his eyes back to the screen.

What's it with the world that men's chasing a ball is so fascinating?

Granted, it is good exercise. But how many calories are the spectators expending in screaming themselves hoarse? Are they losing pounds and pounds as the men who are running up and down do? And, why? It is so pointless.

And why should propelling the ball to one goalpost mean more than propelling it to the other? Why? Eh? Why aren't things equal?

The world has gone mad, I tell you.

Cheers!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lali, there is a special hell reserved or football heretics, and you will go straight there for this post.

8:56 am  
Blogger Lalita said...

Really? :D Didn't know you were a fanatic.

1:40 pm  
Blogger Speech is Golden said...

Ash! You should have read my take on it and then I don't know wat part of hell you will banish me to.

Lalitha! I so agree with the 'great minds and all that' theory. I dunno how good you are in Tamil but the saying I was reminded was "Poovodu sernthu naarum manakkum". Roughly translated, it means 'The scentless thread that holds the garland gets its fragrance from the flowers'.

Ofcourse I meant you as the flower and myself as the 'naar' ;-)

7:59 am  
Blogger Lalita said...

Ram- There is a Telugu proverb, that the cloth used to strain asfoetida will suffer the smell. ;-)

8:24 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"But how many calories are the spectators expending in screaming themselves hoarse?" - Its not about losing calories... Its about loyalties... Its about seeing your club/country at the top... For those who still ask "why", all I can say is that love for one´s team is not very different from the love for one´s country.

"And why should propelling the ball to one goalpost mean more than propelling it to the other?" - Its just the rules of the game.. rules that have evolved over centuries. All games have their own rules, and the question "why" is applicable to all of them. Why, in tennis, do you have to keep the ball within those stupid lines drawn on the ground? Why, in basketball, do you have to put the ball through the silly netting kept at a height of 10 feet? Why, in cricket, should the batsman´s "life" depend on saving those 3 sticks planted on the ground? Why, in kabaddi, should you try to grab and grope at the opponent to the extent and try to force him down?
Its just rules of the game and its these rules that makes the games what it is!!

"Why aren't things equal?" - I dont have enough space to answer that one... It can go on for pages...

10:45 pm  
Blogger Lalita said...

Arnab- Nice to see you worked up. :D I do know the rudiments, Arnab, and understand why there are two goal posts.

But it does seem rather silly and pointless, all the same. Why not just keep count of the number of times a team manages to send a ball between the posts, never mind which side? Hmm?

11:33 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Why not just keep count of the number of times a team manages to send a ball between the posts, never mind which side?" - Well, thats a training exercise. One problem (one of many) of playing a match with such rules is that there is going to be utter confusion on the pitch. And you will probably need double the numbers of players in each team.

11:51 pm  
Blogger Lalita said...

Arnab- I can't believe this. Or rather, I suppose I can believe this. You are such a fanatic you make Ash pale into insignificance. :D

7:45 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License. /body>