lalita larking

An obsession with cryptic crosswords. Everything else falls in place.

Name:
Location: Kolkata, India

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Pleasures of summer

There was a lovely thunderstorm last evening. I like nor'westers. The rushing wind, the light-show in the sky, the peal of thunder... They all exhilarate me. Though we rush around closing windows so dust and rain don't blow in, I like to stand in the balcony and let the slanting sheets of rain lash me. After the build-up of heat for days and days, the storm feels like a blessing.

Though I have seen the dust storms of Delhi, I like the storms of Calcutta better. Looking forward to a storm is one of the pleasures of summer for me. My first summer in Calcutta was a revelation. I discovered the kalbaishaki. Here is a poem I wrote about it. Before anyone sniggers about the title, I wrote it before Arundhati Roy published her novel. So there. :D



May in Calcutta

the city in heat
afire beneath a canopy of green
red russet rust yellow and lilac,
and an occasional golden shower of laburnum;
the city burns.
the smoldering sweltering
sweating heat
working up to a fever pitch
until the nor'wester arrives conquering

nipples hardening in the sudden cool breezes,
skin tingling with a new wet heat,
gales breathe caresses on fevered skin
and lightning-fingers pluck nerves
stretched taut;
thunder gasps in quickening clasps
and Calcutta comes.


Cheers!

11 Comments:

Blogger Rimi said...

Wooow, lady! I'm tempted to ask A Most Inappropriate Question, but shan't :-)

8:58 pm  
Blogger Lalita said...

Ask away, dear girl. No guarantee about the veracity of answer, though.

10:02 pm  
Blogger Kasi Alagappan said...

A good blog, but i dont find any cryptic stuff/ crosswords?

9:58 am  
Blogger Lalita said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:32 am  
Blogger Lalita said...

Kasi, read the archives. January and February were chock full of crossword stuff. Keep visiting.

11:34 am  
Blogger Lalita said...

What is it you were tempted to ask but refrained from, Rimi?

2:16 pm  
Blogger Siva Sivaaa said...

Nice post indeed!! Been to Chennai?? Heard of the notorious dust storms in Chennai?? Hope you'll one day...

1:50 am  
Blogger gP said...

raw and realistic. very nice.

9:04 am  
Blogger Lalita said...

Ruff, thanks. There is no chance of my witnessing storms in Chennai, I am afraid.

Ghost particle, thanks. Keep visiting.

9:27 am  
Blogger Rimi said...

Hey, I wasn't at home for a couple of day. Yes, erm, all I wanted to know was...well (gets ready to duck) the very orgasmic imagery in the last verse...was that from the personal repetoire? Have we been...uh, intimate under the showers on the Moist Green? With the caressing breeze?

There, don't you wish I hadn't asked it? :-)

7:04 pm  
Blogger Lalita said...

:D that'd be telling. ~Cat got the cream kinda smirk~

9:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License. /body>