lalita larking

An obsession with cryptic crosswords. Everything else falls in place.

Name:
Location: Kolkata, India

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Pointless Post

Dear Reader who wrote to ask if I am okay,

Yes, I am fine. No, I haven't shut up shop. Nor do I have writer's block, not as such. It's like this:

What I really want to write about has to wait- two superb puzzles by Enigmatist. I can't talk about the weekly prize puzzle till next Monday, and the Genius puzzle will have to wait until next month. When I solve 32 and 26 letter anagrams I'd like to crow about it, but I can't yet. Hence the silence.

Thank you for suggesting I could write about hendiadys or diphthongs and dangling participles. I am sure this blog's readers will be suitably agog. You suggested I could hold forth about the difference between 'few' and 'a few' or the misuse of 'off' when people write 'off late' instead of 'of late'. I have already been dubbed Grammar Nazi, thank you.

I am not running out of ideas, you see, I am waiting to write about those crosswords, that is all. You also said I could do another pointless post. Here goes.

Did you know that deliver is reviled written backwards? 'Threaten, never battle' is an anagram of better late than never. 'Weak state shames' because haste makes waste. 'Loony pawnshop is undefined' if penny wise and pound foolish. 'Worsened self-seeker perspires' since finders keepers, losers weepers.

Frank Sinatra must have liked French artists. Haven't you heard 'Matisse this thing called love'? Not to mention 'I'm always chasing Rimbauds'. When it comes to accolades from the show biz though, Spanish artists win hands down. Even I know about 'Hello Dali".

Cheers!

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's atrocious, Lali. But since you are in a larking mood, I will let it pass. Picasso Love You.

6:16 pm  
Blogger Lalita said...

Ash- Ouch. I got your letter from the postman just the other day, and all that. And you say mine are atrocious? The nerve!

9:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the RA is acting up.

10:29 pm  
Blogger Sivaram Pothukuchi said...

May I quote at you ?

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."
Jack London
US adventurer, author, & sailor (1876 - 1916)

10:02 am  
Blogger Lalita said...

Rajesh- Not at all. It's me that's acting up.

Sivaram- Look where that attitude got him, dead at forty.

11:46 am  
Blogger dipali said...

Even your pointless posts are so clever:)

12:32 pm  
Blogger Lalita said...

Dipali- *bows* Thank you.

1:38 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

sometimes the pointless has the point!
what say??

vivek

3:21 pm  
Blogger Lalita said...

Vivek- My point exactly!

10:19 am  
Blogger the mad momma said...

never mind being dubbed grammar nazi. we can al do with a few more lessons. do oblige if you can.

1:24 pm  
Blogger Lalita said...

MM- Yes'm. One post on hendiadys, coming up! :-) For hendiadys, think Shakespeare. Sound and fury and so on. Hamlet is peppered with umpteen hendiadys, actually.

5:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License. /body>