lalita larking

An obsession with cryptic crosswords. Everything else falls in place.

Name:
Location: Kolkata, India

Saturday, March 24, 2007

Strapped!

No, this is not a post on bondage and domination or sado-masochism. That gives me yet another post idea, mind you.

I am sure most of my blogging friends will agree with me, we bloggers tend to write posts in our heads as we go about daily life and chores. I know I do, certainly. As I stand in queues, as I do my grocery shopping, as I chop vegetables and stir stews, as I sit in an idling cab waiting for the signal to change, I write in my head. I think out post ideas, avenues to explore for the said ideas, and even compose whole paragraphs in my head as I go through the day.

But, what happens is this. Life intervenes, and the golden thoughts, those glittering gems of ideas get swamped by other things, and I go off on tangents or forget a salient point until after I have published the post. I kick myself mentally, of course, but by then it is too late.

Any given time, there are a few ideas I am mulling over, thinking through. Sometimes they fall apart, sometimes the urgency passes; sometimes some other thought seizes me.

What I would like is some gadget that can transcribe my thoughts as I am thinking them, the perfect prose as I compose it in my head, long before I have to sit and get my fingers dancing on the keyboard. By then the freshness of the original idea is already lost, changed by subsequent thoughts and musings, changed by life as it happens.

If this sounds like I am whining it is because I am. There are too many things clamouring for my attention, too many things I absolutely have to do, and all the while there are these post ideas that are slipping away. It is pathetic, I tell you.

There is a phrase that describes my predicament rather neatly. 'An embarrassment of riches' and then there is the other phrase, 'spoilt for choice'. What it boils down to, is that I am strapped for ideas. There are things I want to write about, yes, but there are too many of them and I can't make up my mind.

I could write about 'manners maketh man'. I could write about Cain rising up and smiting Abel. I could write about 'something in the way she moves ', I could write about 'hum bekhudi mein tum ko pukaare chale gaye'.

I am thinking about too many things, and unable to settle on a topic. So, I am not going to write about any of the above.

Why should I bother to write anything anyway, as most of my readers are probably in mourning over India's World Cup debacle? Write in and tell me what you'd like me to blather about next. It is the weekend, so I am settling down to my beer and Saturday crosswords. There is a brilliant Prize crossword by Paul to solve.

There is such a thing as getting my priorities right, after all.

Cheers!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"hum bekhudi mein tumko"- you've used this line somewhere before, haven't you? Would love to read what this particular line inspires....

7:37 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not a Beatles post, Lali, You just don't know enough. But 'manners maketh man' sounds promising. Are you thinking of gallantry/old world manners or basic courtesy and politeness? Either way, that should be a good post. Did you finish the Paul crossword?

9:49 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

'Something in the way she moves' gets my vote.

11:42 pm  
Blogger Priya said...

I second rajesh. Please babe. I have no TV to watch, nor songs to listen to, but can read. So out with the post :)

7:28 am  
Blogger Lalita said...

Dipali- Did I mention it before? That's a lovely song isn't it?

Ash- True, I don't know much about western music, but I wasn't going to write about the song. That was the title, only. And yeah, I finished the Paul crossword, a toughie it was too.

Rajesh, Priya- Hmm, let's see what transpires.

5:26 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is assumed that the woman must wait, motionless, until she is wooed. That is how the spider waits for the fly. To quote GBS at you.

Be that as it may, 'something in the way she moves' sounds good. Are you thinking of body language?

Sincerely,
Secret admirer

10:44 pm  
Blogger Shirsha said...

OMg, this is exactly what am thinking of right now, this is what they mean when they say hitting the nail on the head, don't they!?
And I vote for 'Something in the way she moves' why does it remind me of my maid sweeping...?

10:49 am  
Blogger Revealed said...

So much empathy :).

12:07 am  
Blogger anantha said...

I am sure most of my blogging friends will agree with me, we bloggers tend to write posts in our heads as we go about daily life and chores.

!!!!!!!!!!!!

But, what happens is this. Life intervenes, and the golden thoughts, those glittering gems of ideas get swamped by other things, and I go off on tangents or forget a salient point until after I have published the post. I kick myself mentally, of course, but by then it is too late.

YESSSS!!!! You have saved me from my eternal despair. I though I was the only obsessed enough to do this. Wheww.. I am not alone. I am NORMAL, even!

2:35 am  
Blogger Lalita said...

Anon- Hmm. There is that too.

Shirsha- Amazing what free association throws up, isn't it?

Revealed- Yeah, :-)

Anantha- I thought I was obsessive too. Then I found that most bloggers I talked to do this- this writing in head. It's so prevalent that those that don't do it are the abnormal ones!

9:41 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License. /body>