lalita larking

An obsession with cryptic crosswords. Everything else falls in place.

Name:
Location: Kolkata, India

Friday, March 30, 2007

I ask you!

There are times I wish the lord and master shuts up and lets me get on with it. The evening at Chez Em went something like this:

"Lali?"
"Um?" (Not now, please)
"You were watching something on Youtube earlier, weren't you?"
"Mmm." (I am trying to read, you know?)

"How long are these clips? Usually?"
"Depends." (Please, honey, things are getting fraught in my book)

"I mean, are they all short? Have you ever watched a longish clip?"
"Um. Honey I only follow links." (Lemme read, will ya?)

I write about something and that reminds me of something and I dig up something else, going feverishly though my shelves; I settle down to read again a lovely novel I read five years ago, and he wants to talk. Sigh.

"Do you watch movies with it?"
"Um. I never tried to, so I can't say, as such." (Good grief, honey, I am trying to read)

"But are movies available there?"
"I suppose."

Belatedly, it occurs to me that I ought to pay more attention to this. That "still, small voice," the bane of humanity, speaks up inside me, hey this is the love of your life, your raison d'être speaking, so I mark my place and look up.

"What are you going on about?"
"There was a hilarious film once." (Sigh, I thought it was something important)

"A couple of men kidnap a millionaire's son. He is a brat. And the parents don't want him back, so they refuse to pay the ransom. And the kidnappers end up paying, heh, and praying for the hostage to be taken off their hands…"
"Must have been funny." (I know your taste in films, you liked A Fish Called Wanda, I recall)

"Yeah. The kidnappers hire a nanny, and the brat gets infatuated with her, and one of the kidnappers falls in love with her.'
"Sounds hilarious, I'm sure" (Bah. Films? What do I care about films if they aren't crossword clues?)

"So I was wondering, there must be a Youtube version of this, right?'
"Umm." (I love this bit in the novel. The descriptions take my breath away)

"Marilyn Monroe played the nanny."
"Umm, Norma Jean Baker and or Mortenson."
"You know that?"
"Huh? Sure. Marilyn Monroe's real name. She sang Happy Birthday Mr. President."
"How do you know about that?"
"She featured in a jumbo crossword once, of course."

"Lali?"
"Yeah?"
"Did you hear what I said?"

I play the conversation back in my head and realise my mind must have been wandering.

"Okay, so Marilyn Monroe played the nanny, did she? Was she good at comedy?"
"I meant, do you think there might be clips of the film available on Youtube?"

"I suppose. What film was this? I'll look it up."
"Lali, I can't remember the name of the film. Why do you think I am asking?"

"Oh. Okay, I will ask around."
"Who will you ask? S isn't in town or I'd ask him."

"I will blog about it, of course. Now, honey, please may I finish reading this?"

I ignore his sigh and stick my nose into my book again.

Cheers!

6 Comments:

Blogger anantha said...

A couple of men kidnap a millionaire's son. He is a brat. And the parents don't want him back, so they refuse to pay the ransom. And the kidnappers end up paying, heh, and praying for the hostage to be taken off their hands…

Sounds like O.Henry's The Ransom of Red Chief to me. But it ends with the kidnappers paying the parents to take the kid back! Marilyn Monroe? hmmm..

8:13 pm  
Blogger Anand said...

Lali: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044981/
But Marilyn, this says, was in another short story in this film.

8:51 pm  
Blogger Lalita said...

My dear A list guys, thanks a ton. Anantha, I loved the story. Anand, thanks for the link, will check it out. K says thanks, too.

9:35 am  
Blogger Priya said...

hey this is the love of your life, your raison d'être speaking

Thank god you realised! You evil woman, you :P Regards to K (waves out to him over Lali's shoulders). And before you start, post coming up...shortly.

2:33 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ Anantha- Thanks for the O.Henry link. It was good to read it again.

Lali, get cracking on a poem, please.

8:24 pm  
Blogger Lalita said...

Priya- K says hi back.

Ash- Nohow and contrariwise coming up next, so there. And if you want to address Anantha, comment on his blog. *sniff*

9:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License. /body>