lalita larking

An obsession with cryptic crosswords. Everything else falls in place.

Name:
Location: Kolkata, India

Monday, October 16, 2006

Yet another farewell, good grief!

Here's a short tale for you as related by Bennett Cerf talking about Russel Crouse and his bent, funny nay punny mind.

"…A Crouse creation of which he was particularly fond (he said he wrote it on a ride to Punsylvania ) involved the Sunday-evening opening of a Broadway play starring that glamorous queen of the "silents," Gloria Swanson. While the star was frugally proceeding to the theatre by subway, however, the system broke down, and Miss S was stranded three miles north of Times Square, necessitating a postponement of the premiere to the following evening.

The name of this poignant tale, naturally, was "Sick Transit Gloria Monday."

I read that DesiPundit is shutting down.

I never knew there was a group blog called DesiPundit, not until they linked to my musing if character flaws and shortcomings are sins. I discovered through my site tracker that many of my visitors that week arrived from DesiPundit. Then I discovered that they set out to make blog-hopping easier for Indian readers, and they did accomplish that. I am a newcomer to blogging and they pointed me to some lovely blogs.

I read their reasons, I understand. Now they are closing shop. Others have said goodbye in their fashion. As I said to Neha, thanks for being there, DP.

Ah, well. Cerf also tells me that an eccentric bachelor passed away and left a nephew nothing but 392 clocks. The nephew now is busy winding up the estate.

Cheers!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cerf also tells me that an eccentric bachelor passed away and left a nephew nothing but 392 clocks. The nephew now is busy winding up the estate.

Were the clocks the types wound by hand ? ( I assume there is a pun intended in your statement)

12:09 am  
Blogger Rimi said...

I shan't be missing DP because I never read it (the one time I was linked I had to be informed of it by The Marauder's Map) but it certainly is a pity to see such an excellent effort close shop. But well, this does sound like quite a few dedicated bloggers will come home to roost in their own blogs. Fair enough deal, I think.

3:48 am  
Blogger Rimi said...

And one notices the denouncing of one's kewl new template on Missus Em's blogroll. Hmph, says one to aforementioned Missus Em.

3:51 am  
Blogger Lalita said...

Ram- Sigh.

Rimi- Yeah, I thought it fair enough, too. Their blog, and if they want to close shop it's their call.

And how else can I publicise my dislike of your new template, pray?

8:18 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've edited out portions I wanted to allude to, Lali. I liked the "Eli, Eli" reference and now it's gone. Why?

8:11 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From the same Cerf trove, "Farmer Klopfer's smartest hen stopped smack in the middle of Route 1. She wanted to lay it on the line."
My lady is punning online now? Will you stoop to 'Around the world in eighty puns', next?

Sincerely,
Secret admirer

8:29 pm  
Blogger Lalita said...

Ash- It was pointed out that it was offensive to refer to Bible versions and allude to them casually. Anyway, discussing Damon Knight and 'The Man in the Tree' and quibbling if 'Eli, Eli' referred to father or power had no real place in that post. I blame it on too many conversations getting jumbled in my head.

Anon- Will you get yourself a name, please? It's charming you know Cerf and his atrocious puns, but I'd like to have a name to address my comments to. Secret admirer does not suffice.

9:08 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ Missus Em:

Why sigh ?

9:48 am  
Blogger Lalita said...

Patrix- It was good while it lasted, yes. My thanks to your team.

Ram- Never mind. :-)

11:35 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License. /body>