lalita larking

An obsession with cryptic crosswords. Everything else falls in place.

Name:
Location: Kolkata, India

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Without without

I live in an apartment building. It is a cosy, small one, with just eight flats. As a notional, nominal head of our building's management, dealing with utilities and correspondence falls to me. All letters addressed to the building come to me.

I received a gem of a notice from a gent calling himself the Inspector of Lifts.

He tells me that it is seen from their office record that our building has not renewed / revalidated our subject lift licence since 2000. He further tells me that this is a highly irregular practice. He directs me to renew/revalidate the same and deposit the amount of money towards renewal/revalidation fees without any further delay. He invites me to note that renewal/revalidation of licence is obligatory under law.

He further says, and I'd better quote because this can't be paraphrased and you won't believe me,

"It is pertinent to mention here that operation of lift without valid licence is a serious offence as per law. You are directed not to offer any service to lift in any manner what so ever without to offer any service without following the above directive. "

The mind boggles.

Tell me, Dear Reader, should I write and tell him 'licence' is excessive freedom and lack of restraint? And that it is freedom to deviate deliberately from normally applicable rules or practices, especially in behaviour or speech?

Yes, yes, I know the third and fourth definitions of 'licence' are that it is a legal document, giving official permission to do something and the act of giving a formal and usually written authorisation. Yes, I also know about American usage, but still. It is so tempting.

Cheers!

15 Comments:

Blogger neha vish said...

Damn. No within? Only without?

7:14 pm  
Blogger karthik durvasula said...

i don't understand ur quibble with ''licence'. please elucidate:).

7:22 pm  
Blogger Lalita said...

Neha- Wait, girl. Full version follows, it will make your eyes pop out.

Karthik- Mama mia, here I go again What to do? I don't think I have to point out Amreek and Brit usages to you. Don't be obtuse at me dear, wait for the full version.

12:29 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ Lalita:

The Licence Raj Returns !!

On a more serious note .. have you verified the authenticity of the notice ?

PS:
dealing with utilities and correspondence falls to me. .. Seriously, consider hiring a full-time employee to attend to the daily drudgery of dealing with utilities, bills and correspondence.

4:54 am  
Blogger Lalita said...

Ram- Hmm, will he write my blog too? ;-)

8:48 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ Lalita:

will he write my blog too?

1. Didn't know you were sexist .. now I know !

2. As for the question itself, the answer is entirely dependent on what you decide ..

10:04 am  
Blogger Lalita said...

Ram- 'He' as in universal pronoun, to encompass both genders, okay? I thought I made my views about conventions clear?

10:13 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Controversy reigns supreme ... Conventions are pale in comparison. ... On a more profound note, I'd like to say that conventions serve the useful purpose of protecting us from the painful job of thinking.

2:52 am  
Blogger Lalita said...

Ram- You do it your way, I'll do it in mine.

7:41 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ Lalita:

You do it your way ... What is "it" ?

9:11 pm  
Blogger Lalita said...

It is all.

Heh. Look, I don't rain on anybody's parade, okay? Live and let live, and all that. You spell things how you want and I will do it my way. Free world means people who hold to conventions have a right to be alive too, after all.

11:22 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ Lalita:

Why all the irritation ? ... No wars being fought here ... :)

2:16 am  
Blogger Lalita said...

Ram- Indeed, no wars. Pesky real-life annoyances invading my blog voice, perhaps. Sorry if I sounded irritated.

3:04 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ Lalita:

Faithful patrons of your blog are now real-life annoyances, huh ? ... Whatever happened to a concept called "gratitude" ?

PS: This comment was made 60% in fatigue, 40% in jest and 10% under some other emotions ..

4:18 am  
Blogger Lalita said...

@Ram
Sigh. Real life is drowned city and myriad things to do. Ze Lark isn't soaring but cowering.

9:26 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License. /body>