lalita larking

An obsession with cryptic crosswords. Everything else falls in place.

Name:
Location: Kolkata, India

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Out of the mouth of babes

Matthew 21:16. And said unto him, Hearest thou what these say? And Jesus saith unto them, Yea; have ye never read, Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings thou hast perfected praise?

What a joy one's child is! What a fount of wisdom one's child is!

On the rare and I mean rare occasions our son calls, he always bemuses us, amuses us and now he advises us.

Considering our son has gone to a boarding school, is used to taking care of himself and manages very well, these days I carefully avoid telling him to keep in touch, call regularly, take care, study well, be good… You get the idea.

There is no point in repeating oneself, after all. Especially since one is going to be ignored anyway. There is no way I can make him do any of those things sitting here in Calcutta, some 950 miles away. As I remarked once before, I just assume that he is fine, unless he calls and says he is not.

So when seeing him off for the next term at college, all I venture is this: "Give us a call and let us know you reached safely."

And give him his due, he did call. After three weeks, and because he prefers to let his mother do the drudgery. He instructed his clueless mother minutely about what he wanted done, how to do it, and so on and so forth.

Details taken care of, he deigned to tell us how he was doing, and asked me what was happening on the home front.

I told him about my blog, and how I have a few readers now. I told him about the grand evening out I had, and the bloggers I met. I told him about how Araucaria wrote to me about my blog. I told him about the 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle that our goddaughter brought for me.

"It's a Van Gogh painting, I am going to have the most marvellous time doing it, " I burbled. "Solved a couple of beauties today," I chuckled.

"Beyond the pale (6, 4, 5) and S for Stockholm (7,2,6)" I said. "Whiter than white, and Capital of Sweden," I giggled.

"Jeez Mom," said my son, and I could almost see him rolling his eyes. "Get a life."

Yessir, Sonny Boy, sir. Getting a life right away, sir.

Cheers!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hm. Children and their assumptions and impositions, requests to take care of stuff. And then their gall in advising us to get a life.

More like your usual posts.

But can we have a dissection of the Jain philosophy, Saptabhangi in particular?

How come nobody knows of this branch of reasoning? Post about it, Lali.

8:53 pm  
Blogger Lalita said...

Ash- Come on; it is too esoteric. I will have to write about how philosophical reasoning works and how any particular question is tackled.

Too much hassle, baba. We are being crossword junkies only.

Ah, but the saptabhangi brings back memories. Thanks, but don't hold your breath. :-)

10:21 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

whiter than white, that was a real beauty

10:42 am  
Blogger Lalita said...

Prakash- Yeah. Clues like that make my day. :D

3:15 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tsk, tsk.

That's a nice clue, though. Beyond the pale.

6:32 pm  
Blogger Lalita said...

Rajesh- Yup.

1:08 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License. /body>